Youtubers holding over 50K Subscribers, founders of Patronne Cosmetics, Businesswomen, best friends and girl boss’s Adeola and Sola Patronne are your go to big sisters for dating hacks, makeup tips, hair reviews and overall girly chit chat.
We speak with the ladies who share their behind the scenes knowledge of constructing a business whilst still being relevant in the Youtube space, the joys of collaborating with Youtubers Nella Rose and Aliyah Maria Bee, and tips for launching a successful business in such a saturated industry.
- The Patronnes have been going strong for some time now, what is your secret in staying relevant on a social platform where there are loads of ladies producing content similar to your own?
We just find being ourselves is what works best for us. We’ve been doing YouTube for a while now and feel like our subscribers know the real us and we don’t try to be something we’re not which is what reflects in our content. We portray real life situations in our content and that has been our main focus since the first day we started.
- You mentioned briefly in one of your videos, but for those who may not know or who have not seen your channel before – where did the idea for the name of your channel ‘Meet The Patronnes’ first come from?
We’ve recently changed our YouTube name to ‘ThePatronnes’ but the name Patronne came from when I first joined social media and did not want to use my real surname so I found “Patron” through a google search and then I changed it to “Patronne”. When sola later joined social media she also adopted the same surname and this was created way before we started YouTube. Patron means a female boss in French but I spelt it a little different to give it a little twist.
- Your platform is very interesting in the fact that you always have different topics for your content. Where do you ladies get your inspiration for each video?
We mainly gather our inspiration from life experiences, mainly things that we’ve been through and we find ways to speak on issues and give advice on it. Sometimes we would make fun of the situations we’ve been through whilst growing up because it seemed so serious at the time, but as we grew older we realise that it was all just a phase and we begin to understand what is actually important. Therefore we try to share it with our subscribers as most of them are still in school or university.
- You have recently done a few collab videos with other Youtubers such as Aliyah Maria Bee and Nella Rose. What is your relationship like with these ladies? Are you all friends outside of Youtube land?
They are all inspirational ladies and we love their content. We had such a good time when we filmed the collaborations with the girls as they have such good vibes and positive energy. We found it easy to collab with them because we have the same type of audience. Our relationship did start because of YouTube but they are all girls we talk to outside of the YouTube world.
- There was a previous 3rd member to your Youtube channel who left some time ago, how has it been adjusting to working with just one other person in terms of producing content and content ideas?
It was strange and we were nervous at first. We did not know how our subscribers would react to just seeing two people on the screen instead of three. But it was harder to be consistent on our channel as a trio due to the distance and different schedules. So it’s a lot easier now because Adeola and I live 10 minutes away from each other so it’s been a lot easier to manage our channel.
- Well done on launching your cosmetics line ‘Patronne Cosmetics’ back in December last year. How has the feedback been from customers, family and friends?
Thank you so much. It’s been amazing actually because we believe a lot of our subscribers/ followers/ customers are similar to us and relate to us so I think we provide products that they would love. We spent a lot of time testing the products and ensuring that it stands for what we believe in. We pride ourselves in providing great customer service, products with good quality, relevant and authentic products. Therefore I believe our customers, family and friends also feel the same.
- What was the process of producing your lipstick range and launching to the public?
We spent nearly 8 months testing the products. We were communicating with the manufacturers and designers back and forth because we wanted the lipsticks to be perfect. Adeola dealt mostly with the logistics and I was more into the creative side of producing the lipsticks. We were really scared to launch, we had mixed emotions because on one hand we thought people would love it and buy our products and on the other hand we were scared that it may just be another makeup company that won’t thrive. But we’re doing well and hope to bring out more products in the near future.
- Adeola, you mentioned briefly on your twitter that the two of you will be adding to the Patronne Cosmetics range – any update on what we should be expecting? *Eye emoji*
Yes I did! Let’s just say it’s something that will be keeping our lips looking luxurious! 😉
- What advice do you have for young girls, or for anyone that wants to launch a Youtube channel or a business in the fashion/beauty industry?
I think the main advice for starting a YouTube channel would be to just do it and be yourself, don’t think too hard about it, don’t try to be someone you’re not, let your personality shine through and people will fall in love with it. The advice for starting a business would be to do lots of research before starting and have a plan, know what you would like your company to stand for but do not hesitate to start, don’t tell people your plans because people will try to put you down.
- What are your top tips for marketing your business and making sure that you stick true to your brand when wanting to reach out to the public?
Our main tip is to keep customers/ followers updated on a daily basis, mainly through social media. We have to keep reminding them of the products and the website, I think this also helps to stay relevant. Having bloggers as brand ambassadors also helps to reach the public.
- What is next for ‘The Patronnes’ Do you have any other business ventures in the pipeline for the near future?
Well at the moment our main focus is expanding our product range for Patronne Cosmetics. Any more business ventures will definitely be after we have reached our goal for Patronne Cosmetics.
TW: #The Patronnes
Don’t forget to follow us on: